The Awakening

Go to top
Home • Forum • Check your PM • Register • Log in
Go to top
  Covering the Kohan series as well as news for TimeGate Studios & Axis & Allies.
Calendar 

Home
Forum

Album
Downloads
Knowledge Base
Links
Online Users
Rules
Staff

FAQ
Search Downloads
Search KB

Info / Features
Factions
Races
Units
Heroes
Spells
Techs
Strategy
Editing
Downloads

Info / Features
Factions
Units / Heroes
Spells
Techs
Strategy
Editing
Downloads

Info / Features
Factions
Units / Heroes
Spells
Techs
Strategy
Editing
Downloads

Quitchs KoW AI League

KoW Instructional Videos by *XandersBlade*{LT}

Arcane Wars Mod

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 am   Post subject:  Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Hello to everyone I like announce new mod for kohan 2. for now i posted few pics from it into my personal galery and probably in one month i'll be able to upload solid beta version.Mod started last winter as small modification for me and few friends but as i dig deeper into skripts it become to grow into modification which changes many aspects of game(frontline mages,icreased combat range for ranged units,increased cavalry speed including mounted kohans,new formations for siege units also cities are harder to conquer and siege units have changed damage to prevent them from dominating battlefield, and other changes) mod also include some old KAG units and 21 kohans so every faction now have 16 kohans to field.
If you have any question about my mod just ask. Darquan

NOTE: If there is someone interested in test my mod i can offer work wersion just send me PM but i must warn that not all things are finished(some units dont have finished abilities missing proper icon etc.) also its long time since mod has been tested in multiplayer game so there might be unknown issues.

At last I like to thanks Liero for his K2 enhanced combat mod and Arilou Lalee'lay for his Clash of the titans mod its give me inspiration, last thanks goes to Chimaeros for running this site because knowledge base located here served me well in creating KIS & KAG units and Kohans for my mod.

Ehm and please excuse my english Sad

Last edited by Darquan Mortis on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Download Post  No rating  
Arilou Laleelay
Shadeling
Shadeling
234 Gold

Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Hey Darquan, I re-registered to the boards to tell you I am really thrilled about the Mod you are making. I took a look at the teaser pictures in the gallery and I can see some very exciting new stuff.

It is funny really, you can see quite a few people returning to this game. Just a few weeks ago I started playing again and have been adding a few more ideas to my old Mod.

It seems like you put a lot of work into your Mod and I am looking forward to playing it.

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Hi Arilou thanks a lot i do what i can glad you like it. I like kohan series for its posibilites with companies and units. But in kohan 2 i missed variety of KAG and dislike how easily cities crumble under siege so after playing your mod(nice work it was fun playing it and gives me lots of scripting ideas) and some other mods from this site i started slowly working on my mod and after some time its finaly getting shape but there is still lot to do.

Here is short info about what is done:

-kingdom points used in same manner as company limit(used for sovereign citadels and other kingdom structures)

-added vorpal as full damage type(not only flag) and as minable resource(mainly used by undead and shadow)

-system of sovereign citadels allows recruitment of elite units, faction/nation units, resource camps builders and etc.

-citadels can now be upgrade to house improved militia with support unit and to house defensive siege units

-new script for spell that create effect that remain for limited time in game and repeatedly cast spell for now used only for thunderstorm, crimson rain, and wrath of desert(thunderstorm cast by ancients can be seen in "undead keep" picture in my galery)

-catapults are now able bombard units and buildings behind walls but have minimum range so it cant defend itself at short range or in melee combat

-new random map terrain set "cursed land" and three new terrains for existing sets with new properties some terrains are harmfull so they can be used as advatage in combat or defence

-new type of "alliance" units set by choosen faction and nations it can rally under its flag example: nationalist can play human gauri and drauga game starts with humans by this you gain human ally units then drauga city is conquered and drauga ally units gained and all aliance units become available for recruit in human and drauga cities and if gauri city is gained full aliance is formed (ehm hope is comperhesive) now its used mostly for KAG support units

-added new experience rank "legendary" its hard to reach but when unit gets this rank it gains new ability examples: human swordsman attack change to magical,Bowman gains hail of arrows special attack,stonewalker gains sword swirl special attack and etc.(for now only part of the units are modified)

-and many other less notable changes to gameplay

To do : finish and balance this Sad

Download Post   
Niarg
Shadeling
Shadeling
124 Gold

United Kingdom UK Crest
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:25 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Good to see people still mod the game occasionally.

Some hints I'm not sure if you knew;
If you want any more graphics then you can use paint.net to change the skins of any units/buildings (.dds files) and any icons (.tga files).
There are quite a few people interested in playing mods but you'd have to change things slowly rather than releasing a complete mod.

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:05 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Thanks for hints and comment Niarg.

My idea about mod is to release beta with finished scripting and basic skins for new units and other stuff(bit problematic for me are portraits for "new" kohans. Im not skilled enought to modify or create 3D models so i try to modify old portraits which mostly look awfull) after that Im willing to change things in my mod if people gets interested if not then I finish mod from my point of look but I dont want to make mod in style "here is my mod take it as its stand or play something else"
Sorry if I choose bad method of release its my first and probably last mod I make for game

Thats why i welcome any comments, opinions or questions about my upcoming mod

Download Post   
Arilou Laleelay
Shadeling
Shadeling
234 Gold

Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:55 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Wow, that's a big list of great new features. Once a beta is released I'll be happy to give you my feedback. I am really curious how those Sovereign cities work and the pictures show a lot of variety in companies.

I do have one question: How does the AI handle all the new content? Does it comprehend the changes and use it too?

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:25 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Thanks a lot Smile I let you knou once beta is released hope to make it in two weeks. If you have any question about sovereign cities ask me system for them is finished.

To your question: AI is able to recruit alliance and other units,build sovereign cities,resource camps and keeps(work as stronger outpost with wall around it) only exeption is harmfull terain AI dont understand it and let units stand on it till they die(I'll try to fix it using different script) but for now AI is unmodified and in larger battles (4 or more active AI"players") become confused and lots of decisions makes it less effective

NOTE: finished basic SAI modification AI players now rush to get min two settlements then build sovereign citadel after that AI returns to its normal behavior

Download Post   
Arilou Laleelay
Shadeling
Shadeling
234 Gold

Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:05 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

I noticed you posted some new screenshots. Those spells are very nice; I especially like the Fissure spell, it is very original. How many of those spells will there be in the final release?

Good luck!

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

For now there is six such "siege" spells and with exeption of thunderstom they are cast by "sovereign captains" available for each nation exept shadow which have demons. Im not sure how many spell will be in final release there can be more spell running on this script like portal repeatedly releasing units or fog that cast some spell on units passing through it. Also they might be used for "global spells" but for now i dont find useful way how to incorporate them into game(scripts for general powers from A&A dont work well in K2 and are problematic to show on UI)

NOTE: Im sorry but work on mod goes slower then I previously thought Sad first version will be finished in week or two and probably without multiplayer testing

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:54 am   Post subject:  Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Sorry that my mod is still not uploaded. I spend last two weeks hunting bug hidden somewhere in human nation files and still dont have any clue what cause it. For now its looks like long run problem Sad other things in mod are nearly finished for beta realease and few new things is finshed like two "long range" defence structure having bigger detection and guard range than cities and launching cavalry militia to defend land (clearing area of monsters and lairs and hunting enemy units trying to sneak into controled teritory) last addition is human supply company(for now only testing unit) which provides small mobile ressuply point.

NOTE: Bug found, it was caused by catapults company with bombard ability and added flank units, catapults have removed bombard ability untill stable solution is found.

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 pm   Post subject:  First version of mod Back to top 

Finally after some delays first version of my mod is available in KOW mods download section.

Only missing features from previously mentioned are catapult bombard ability and harmfull terrain instead there are for now hadicaping trrains giving penalty to morale, resistances etc.(well one kind of harmful terrain is included its "meadow" terrain type generated in small spots on midlands and cursed land terrain type it damages shadow and undead units but heals other nations units when not in combat)

Have Fun and please remember that this is first version. Darquan

Download Post   
Arilou Laleelay
Shadeling
Shadeling
234 Gold

Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 am   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

This is great news! I'm very excited to try out all the new stuff. As soon as I get the opportunity to play a few games I will come back to post my experiences and tell you what I think of it.

You might also want to leave a message on the official forum, if you haven't done so already.

PS: 55 MB, wowsers Smile

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:03 pm   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Hope you like it and don't have any problems with my mod.

I'll try to post note on official forum in few days thanks for advice.

RE PS: Size grew quiet big in time and unpacked mod have cca. 107mb most of its size are .dds files and new icons. What can I say lots of new units structures and effects need its space Smile

Plans for next version: Expand system of sovereign citadels to create faction/nation sovereign citadels with militia formed from specific elite faction/nation units it allows more strightforward units placement as elite nation units can be moved to faction/nation units so only frontline mages remain as common nation unit rest of new units will change with respective factions.also it allows me to remove some odd things as creators huntress and sharpshoters among ranks of ceyah humans and such

Download Post   
Arilou Laleelay
Shadeling
Shadeling
234 Gold

Zimbabwe
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 pm   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

I have played a few offline games with the mod now and I thought I would post my first impressions.

I first started a skirmish game playing as the Humans and felt so overwhelmed by all the new possibilities that I decided to try the campaign instead. I read in the text file that you retouched the campaign to work with the mod, so that peaked my interest.
Playing through the campaign again with the mod is like playing a whole new game. I like how the new content is introduced gradually, which enabled me to slowly get used to them. It is a lot of fun experimenting with the new units and buildings. You can clearly see from all the little details that you put A LOT of time into making this mod.

I still have to play some more to get the hang of alliance units and sovereign cities, but I will list a few highlights of the mod which I particularly like:
The new siege companies are great, no more Siege spam. They are more powerful, but so are the defenses of your settlements: stronger walls, new outposts, stronger and more varied building militia. I also like how the cavalry of the Border Keep goes out to hunt nearby enemies; nice touch!
The new Cursed Land terrain has a nice gloomy and dark feel and the terrain effects make it quite a challenge to play on.
Despite the fact that the mod does not contain any new models or textures, the way things are edited still makes everything look unique enough to enjoy. Primal Wyverns and Statues of the Council are a few of my favorites. The siege spells are very original and as I said in one of my previous posts, the Fissure spell is very well designed.
There is just too much to mention: little things like new formations, lairs and spells, but also changes to certain gameplay mechanics such as the new damage types and the way nations can interact to create alliances.

Apart from some minor graphical bugs I did not encounter any game-breaking problems. The only thing that took me a while to figure out was that it is not wise to put companies of different types (ranged/siege/mounted) together in one group, because pressing 'Q' does not return them all to Combat Formation.

Only having played a handful of games till now, I cannot comment on the balance yet. The AI however is very annoying with the Human Catapult and if I do not kill them quickly they can turn the tide of a battle quite rapidly.

All in all a very enjoyable breath of fresh air for this 5-6 year old, but great game. Kohan 3 might never come, but once polished this can be a worthy Kohan 2.5.
Dedicated PvP gamers might shy away from the multitude of changes (although they are the best players to help you find balance problems), but I think any casual skirmish / campaign player will be very pleased by it.

Well done Darquan!

Download Post   
Darquan Mortis
Bone Bow
Bone Bow
649 Gold

Czech Republic
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 pm   Post subject:  Re: Arcane Wars Mod Back to top 

Thanks a lot Arilou! I'm happy you like changes in my mod your feedback is most welcome.

I hope to remove most of graphical bugs in next version but its bit problematic as most of it are caused by owerhelming number of active effects so it may take long time eliminate all bugs.
Yes melee,ranged,mage,cavalry,siegemelee,siegeranged companies have different properties for formations sorry I forget to mention it. Game don't take them only as combat/skirmish/collum so when multiple companies are selected change of formation affects only companies of same type.I liked to change formation properties for different companies as they have different style of combat which is more apparent with increased ranges and faster cavalry but if I dont find way how to make formation command work for all companies I probably set back only one set of properties.

Any comments to ballance are welcomed as mod is surely not balanced.But there are still many things unfinished so most important for me is now info about overpowered units.In case of catapults biggest problem for me is that catapults hit automaticaly without this all be fine but still they can be countered by cavalry as they can't defend themselves at close range.

I'm very happy how highly you rank my mod and hopefully once finished it will match that standart and find its players among ranks of kohan fans.I don't know if my mod will be interesting for Dedicated players but any interest in my mod from their side is welcomed and maybe new choices and increased number of possibilities to change course of battle will be welcomed.

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic